How a Fashion Model Explains Mental Health




Photo by Nick Mangubat | @nmshoots


Words can’t describe how proud and ecstatic I am to not only interview, but share the testimonies of longtime friend and model, Paula Phounsavath. As she defies all odds and continues to tell her story as a phenomenal model and writer, Paula explains how mental health plays a part in the modeling industry as well as her modeling career.



The Stats
Name: Paula Phounsavath
School: Old Dominion University ‘21
Major: English, Journalism concentration
Social Media: @paula_jp


Do you believe modeling is more about relying on your looks or your mentality?
“Coming from a superficial view, you have to rely on your look, yes. But it’s up to models mentality that is more important. Looks matter because you have to give people what they want constantly and when keeping up with your look you have to build that thick skin mentality and what people want is the perfect hourglass or plus size; filing the job requirement is what people want.”



Photo by Alex Yerena | @aleggsue


Do you feel like modeling is more of a sport than a job/career?
“Not a sport, no. I really do thinks it’s a career/job because these models have worked so hard where you have to put in work to be successful, cities like Paris, Milan any biggest fashion models that can’t find a job because it’s a very selective field and you have to give people what they require. You see all these models that still have to work for many years”
What is your secret to balancing modeling with education?
“The one thing that can be a balance since it’s freelance; during the weekdays it’s all school all homework, however, I push photo shoots to the weekend so that I can also make time for the rest of my studies.”
What is your weakness? What are you going to do to improve it?
“The fact that I get redundant with the same poses or looks. I have to bring something different especially when some photographers offer money to the table. I can still come up with different looks for my photographers. Also comparing myself to other models even when you don’t know them enough to judge them .”



Photo by Roderick Patterson


In your opinion, what is your greatest strength as a model?
“Confidence,  because there are quite a few models that are camera shy which stems from insecurity from other models or influencers. The only reason why I’m thick skinned was because of how I was in high school and I already knew how to develop that confidence when I was in high school for college.”



Photo by Aaron Bumanglag



Comments

Popular Posts