An Open Letter to Changing Your Major

Now let’s be honest, do all people truly be aware of what they're doing? This applies to multiple components of lifestyles, however, this can happen even while you are in college. Going to college is the largest overload experience, and with so a great deal going on, you have a lot of options. Also, because you're taking another step into adulthood, you're going to change your mind... a lot.


As a freshman, I was completely out of my element, so it makes sense that the choices I made out of high faculty do not align with your attitude two years later. There are a lot of reasons you may want to change your major. You may also have realized you’re just not interested in it anymore, it may be too rigorous, you can even be undeniably bored. Either way, you want to do what you love. If you want to study interior designing but you are a Chemistry major and hate it, change it. If you recognize that you just can’t stand numbers, it’s okay to not be a Accounting major; minds can change, and so can your college major.



To give a little more insight, I've changed my major two times: from Chemistry Pre-Med to English. I was convinced that I would study Chemistry Pre-Med as I was successful with science in high school. I am an English major now, studying things that I absolutely love. There is such a difference between studying and completing assignments for something you don't want to do versus something you have a passion for. There's been an complete difference in just the way I pay attention in the majority of my lecture classes. For the first time in my academic life, I love school. That’s right, Love.


You might think that it’s all rainbows and daisies, but you may have just gone through a year of prerequisites only for them to be electives (in other words, completely useless). But you're parents and the government is paying for this experience, so you might as well be happy while doing so as well. There are such stress and anxiety surrounding changing your major, but I'm here to say that it's completely okay. Take it from someone who's gone from one end of the spectrum to the next. So what if you get a little behind or completely change what you thought you once knew? Now as a rising junior, a part of me wishes I would've never chosen to be a STEM major going in, to begin with. But I wouldn't trade away the sense of clarity and relief I got when changing my major that will last a lifetime. The majority of college students will switch majors all the time, that's why there's so many to choose from in the first place.


Comments

Popular Posts